Can I operate a business from my home?

Businesses operated from homes require a City of Lebanon business license and must comply with the requirements for the zoning district in which the property is located. A home occupation is defined as an occupation having traditional acceptance as being one customarily carried on in the home, provided that: such occupation is incidental to the residential use; no article or service is sold or offered for sale on the premises except that produced by such occupation; and such occupation does not require internal or external alterations or construction features, equipment or machinery not customary in residential areas. 

A complete packet can be found by clicking on Information and Procedures for all Business Owners in the City of Lebanon.

This packet contains information on:

  • Application for Business Tax Registration
  • Emergency Contact Information Form for the Communications Division of the Lebanon Police Department
  • Procedures for the Applying for a Business License
  • Notification for a Change of Use of a Building
  • Obtaining the Certificate of Occupancy
  • Contacting the Economic Development Office for Assistance.
  • TN Department of Health Information

Show All Answers

1. Where can I get a schedule of the Planning Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals meetings?
2. Where can I find agendas and minutes for the Planning Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals?
3. Where can I get an application for the Planning Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals?
4. Who is on the Planning Commission?
5. Who is on the Board of Zoning Appeals?
6. Where can I find parcel information for my property?
7. What is my property zoned and what can I build on it?
8. What can a building or property be used for?
9. Is my property in the floodplain?
10. What is a Land Use Plan?
11. What is an Urban Growth Boundary?
12. How do I rezone my property?
13. What is the process for annexation or rezoning?
14. My house is zoned commercially, what happens if it burns down?
15. My business does not conform to the current zoning...what should I do?
16. What is a non-conforming use?
17. What is a non-complying structure?
18. What does it mean to be legal non-conforming?
19. What is the Major Thoroughfare Plan?
20. What is the process for subdividing my property?
21. What is the process for Site Plan approval?
22. What is a Specific Plan District (SP) and what is the process for approval?
23. When is Planning Commission approval required?
24. Is there a maximum size for accessory structures?
25. What is a "setback?"
26. How do I measure the setback?
27. Is a permit required to install a fence?
28. How long is a Use on Appeal good for?
29. Can the Board of Zoning Appeals grant a variance to allow a use that is not permitted in a particular zone?
30. Can I operate a business from my home?
31. Does the City enforce restrictive covenants?